Honda has just given their 4 seat Talon the R treatment, adding a longer-travel variant of the Talon to the 4 seat UTV options pool. Not content with just stretching the 2-seat Talon R, however, Honda revised both versions of the R this year with some pretty substantial improvements. Here’s our 2023 Honda Talon 1000R4 Review starting with the important highlights and changes followed by an in-depth review and specifications.
2023 Honda Talon 1000R4 Highlights:
- Updated suspension tune improvements on the Talon R
- New steering components offer increased strength, decreased effort
- Stock wiring harness accepts a lot of accessory integration easily
- Full doors with storage!
- Signature snappy but smooth engine and transmission performance
2023 Honda Talon 1000R4 Specifications:
- Engine Size: 999cc DOHC Parallel Twin
- Weight (curb): 1845 lbs
- Length x Width x Height: 152.2 x 68.1 x 79.0 in
- Wheelbase: 118.7 in
- Tires: Kenda K3201C 28×9-15 Front, 28×11-15 Rear
- Wheels: 15-inch cast aluminum, non-beadlock
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone with FOX Live Valve shocks, 17.7 in. travel
- Rear Suspension: 4+ link trailing arm with FOX Live Valve shocks, 20.1 in. travel
- Fuel Capacity: 7.3 gal
- Transmission: Six-speed automatic Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT) with high/low subtransmission.
- 2WD/4WD: Two drive modes with 2WD and I-4WD. Three shift modes (standard, sport, manual w/ paddle shifters).
Before we dive into the individual details, here is what Honda changed on the Talon 1000 R before they stuffed two more seats in it:
- Wheelbase on the R is now 2.7 inches shorter, reducing turning radius by nearly two feet. This was done by shortening the length of the trailing arm and changing some of the rear suspension geometry. Honda does not claim a difference in suspension travel.
- Full-coverage doors with netted storage pockets and cup holders.
- New power-steering unit and tuning with better return to center feel.
- Updated ignition mapping.
- Improved accessory integration, with a second ground added to the front of the vehicle for simpler wire routing. (Previously, there was only one ground, at the vehicle’s rear.)
- New wheels and 28-inch Kenda tires with thicker sidewalls for increased protection from pinch flats.
- Twelve new Honda Accessories available.
- Painted plastic in exciting new colors (Pearl Red and Matte Navy Blue). All four FOX Live Valve versions have color-matched frame and suspension.