The Crew’s six-person cab is designed with a spacious second row, boasting a best-in-class 28 inches of leg room for a comfortable ride and easy vehicle entry and exit. A full-size cargo bed and front and rear under-seat storage provide substantial capacity for additional items. When the bed is loaded with tools and supplies, the selectable tow/haul mode and self-leveling rear suspension ensure a smooth and controlled ride. As with the rest of the Pioneer 1000 family, the Crew features a powerful 999cc parallel-twin engine and tough Dual Clutch Transmission, and it’s built with unmatched durability, quality and reliability.
“We’re excited to add the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew to our lineup of multipurpose side-by-sides,” said Brandon Wilson, American Honda Manager of Sports & Experiential. “Since 2016, the Pioneer 1000 platform has set the standard for flagship rec-utility side-by-sides, and the all-new Crew continues to raise the bar with additional capability and performance. With Honda’s renowned reliability and a long list of functional, innovative features, the Crew is a versatile workhorse that doesn’t compromise performance on the trail.”
2023 Honda Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew
- Colors (MSRP):
- Red ($21,899)
- Olive ($21,899)
- Honda Phantom Camo® ($22,699)
2023 Honda Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew Features & Benefits:
- Six-Person Cab: With a full-size second row of seating, the Crew comfortably seats six people, with class-leading space for a comfortable ride and easy vehicle entry and exit.
- Added Storage: Large front and rear under-seat storage areas make it convenient to securely transport tools and supplies. In addition, a handy new storage area has been added below the dash, with contents secured via cargo nets.
- Tow/Haul Mode: The selectable tow/haul mode optimizes power delivery for carrying heavy loads.
- Updated EPS: As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000 (announced in late March), the Electronic Power Steering system features 50% more torque assist and a return-to-center function assists the driver at high and low speeds.
- Self-Leveling Rear Suspension: To maintain its stable handling at all times, the Crew features self-leveling rear shocks that automatically adjust according to the load in the vehicle.
- Increased Power: Thanks to optimized valve timing and an updated throttle-body plate setting, the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew power plant benefits from strong mid- and upper-range power, for impressive acceleration and towing capacity. As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, the size of the cooling fan has been increased correspondingly.
- Transmission Updates: As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, the gear ratios match the increased power output, and changes were made to improve shifting action, with reduced shock during gear changes.
- Beverage Holders: The dash-positioned cup holders are designed to hold tumbler-size cups up to 30 ounces in size. In-door drink-bottle holders are also provided in all doors.
- New Door Nets: As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, the Crew has door nets with a simplified mounting structure and a finer mesh pattern for improved visibility.
- Pre-wired Accessory Connector: A pre-wired panel is provided under the hood to simplify installation of Honda and aftermarket electronic accessories.
- Dash Switch Panel: Also to facilitate clean installation of electronic accessories, pre-wired switches are integrated in the dash. Unwired blanks are integrated in the dash for additional accessories.
- In-bed Outlet: The Crew has a handy 12-volt accessory receptacle in the bed, enabling use of electric devices like coolers, work lights, food warmers, sprayers, air compressors and more.
- Meter: As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, a new dash meter has modernized styling and features added functions including a clutch indicator, battery voltage and CAN communication.
- Wheels: The Crew comes with 14-inch aluminum wheels and OTR Dirt Master tires.
- Sealed Cabin: A number of measures were taken to isolate the driver and passengers from engine heat and external debris and moisture.
- Styling: As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, a new grill and fascia, along with updated graphics give the Crew an aggressive look.
DESIGN / STYLING
Building on the proven Pioneer 1000 platform, the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew nearly doubles the cab space over the 5-person model by adding a full-size second row of seating, while also maintaining functional cargo-bed space. The spacious second row offers best-in-class legroom, with 28 inches of knee space and a staggered center seat to maximize shoulder room. This allows passengers to conveniently enter the vehicle, ride in comfort while bringing along all their tools, and exit with ease when the destination is reached.
In addition, the Crew comes with tilt steering to adjust to different body sizes, and with a thickly padded foam seat for maximum comfort in all driving conditions. It’s equipped with six-ply OTR Dirt Master tires mounted on 14-inch wheels and halogen headlights are standard, providing superb illumination in low-light conditions.
Bed capacity is 1,000 lbs. (600 lbs. for the California model), and fuel-tank capacity is 7.9 gallons, including reserve.
Door nets are designed to make door operation simple, and a fine mesh pattern optimizes visibility. A black-on-white digital dash display has a modern appearance and includes indicators for clutch engagement and battery voltage. In addition to four door-mounted cupholders, a cupholder in the dash holds a tumbler-style container up to 30 ounces in size.
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
The Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew is powered by a 999cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin four-stroke engine with a Unicam cylinder-head arrangement and four valves per cylinder. As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, changes to the valve timing and throttle-body settings result in more midrange and upper-rpm horsepower without sacrificing the engine’s smooth delivery. Acceleration is improved as a result, and towing capacity has increased by 25 percent, to 2,500 pounds.
Also used in the legendary CRF motocross models, Honda’s Unicam design utilizes lightweight “roller rockers” that are activated by the camshaft and in turn operate the valves. A roller contacts the cam, minimizing friction and wear compared to standard rocker arms. The design not only produces significant horsepower and torque, it also shrinks overall engine size and weight. These factors allow for a roomier cabin design and lower the vehicle’s center of gravity, thereby improving handling.
Longitudinal engine mounting eliminates unnecessary power-robbing right angles in the driveline, ensuring that more of the engine’s output is transmitted to the wheels. The engine and exhaust system are rubber-mounted to reduce vibration and noise.
As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, a larger radiator fan and added cabin shielding better dissipate and deflect engine heat, enhancing driver and passenger comfort.
With increased engine power on tap, Honda’s engineers revised the transmission gear ratios to be wider overall, with more pulling power at lower speeds. This contributes to an increased towing capacity, allowing users to pull larger loads.
Honda’s legendary automatic Dual Clutch Transmission is standard on the Crew. DCT provides the durability and efficiency of a conventional manual transmission but can change gears automatically, upshifting and downshifting without driver input.
Functionally, the DCT has two coaxial main shafts and two automatic clutches, one for the odd numbered gears (1/3/5) and one for the even-numbered gears (2/4/6). The digital programming monitors numerous variables, including throttle position, air temperature, air pressure, engine rpm, vehicle speed, brake input and driving style, then calculates when to shift.
For example, when the driver’s input is relaxed, the DCT shifts at lower engine rpm for a quiet cabin, minimal vibration, optimal fuel efficiency, reduced drivetrain load and freer suspension action. With more aggressive driver input, higher engine speeds are maintained before shifting, maximizing engine torque and power. When descents are detected, the transmission downshifts to provide confidence-inspiring engine braking. As they did with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, Honda’s engineers fine-tuned the DCT’s algorithm to reduce the shock imparted by the hydraulic controls, for enhanced occupant comfort.
Two automatic shifting modes allow the driver to tune the driving behavior of the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew, with the Tow/Haul mode executing gear changes at higher rpm than Standard mode . The Two/Haul mode also allows for smoother shifts when the engine is under additional load.
Drivers also have the option of selecting Manual mode and making gear changes via paddle shifters mounted on the steering column. (The paddle shifters can also be used to force gear changes while driving in automatic modes, for example to initiate engine braking when approaching a corner.)
A notable convenience is the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew’s DCT memory function, which returns the transmission to the most recent drive mode when resuming forward motion after reverse is engaged.
Engine power is routed through the DCT to the wheels via direct front and rear driveshafts. The Crew comes standard with Honda’s torque-biasing, limited-slip differential. Turf Mode utilizes two-wheel drive and the limited-slip rear differential to protect lawns and other sensitive surfaces.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
The Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew has an 115.2-inch wheelbase and a 18.7-foot turning radius. As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, considerable effort went into reducing steering effort.
Fully independent, long-travel, double-wishbone front and rear suspension is standard on the all-new Crew. Suspension travel is 10.5 inches in front, 10.0 inches at the rear.
To adapt to varying loads, the rear suspension automatically adjusts to maintain a level ride height. This provides a comfortable ride and stable handling, even when the bed is loaded with heavy tools and materials.
Braking chores are handled by sure-footed, confidence-inspiring hydraulic disc brakes with 210mm rotors on all four wheels.
Electric Power Steering
EPS is standard on the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew. The ECU-controlled system monitors vehicle speed and steering input from the driver. The system then fine-tunes feedback to the driver, minimizing driving fatigue. As with the 2022 Pioneer 1000, the steering effort is greatly reduced thanks to additional torque assist, and the steering wheel centers more efficiently following a cornering maneuver. When using four-wheel-drive in challenging terrain, EPS significantly reduces harsh kickback.
Rec/utility side-by-side customers aren’t known for babying their vehicles, and the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew is ready to withstand hard use and rugged conditions. A steering gearbox, sliding steering shaft and robust one-piece frame with a four-point engine-mounting system enhance Honda’s legendary durability and toughness. In addition, a beefy undercarriage skid plate minimizes the risk of vehicle damage from rocks.
As capable as the Pioneer 1000-6 Deluxe Crew is, Honda knows that side-by-side customers typically enjoy personalizing their vehicles to make them their own, and to outfit them for specific applications. There are more than 50 accessories available for the all-new Crew, including LED headlights, speakers, plows, light bars and more. The collection of accessories allows owners to tailor the vehicle to their individual needs.
WARRANTY: Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan
- Meets current CARB and EPA off-road emissions standards
- Recommended for riders 16 years of age and older